Tuesday, September 29, 2026

“Ride the Red Killer” by N.E. Snoke

 


The universe belonged to Red Hellion and me! And I was going to conquer… I wasn't going to set back and die from inaction and boredom! Excitement—action—speed! Any damn thing to keep from thinking!

This story appeared in the September 1952 issue of Dime Western magazine.

Here we have a post-World War II tale of a former rodeo rider who lost a hand in combat. We travel inside our protagonist’s head as he navigates the waters of recovery, bitterness, and re-claiming the whole man inside as he comes to grip with this new lot in life.

It is a brief tale, but one of maturity. There are no shoot-em-up heroics; just a man with an obstacle to surmount and the complicated issues of the soul that go along with a man who chooses not to lay down no matter what is handed to him.

A bonafide buried treasure of mature Western writing from an author I was unfamiliar with and as far as I can tell his only printed piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

“Ride the Red Killer” by N.E. Snoke

  The universe belonged to Red Hellion and me! And I was going to conquer… I wasn't going to set back and die from inaction and boredom!...